Summer is right around the corner and home improvements are in full swing. Many homeowners are heading up to the roof to inspect their shingles. Here at Fairfield County Exteriors, we want to make sure you’re 100 percent safe when you’re on your roof. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of roof safety tips to live by.
- Keep your workspace clean and organized.
- Ensure that children and pets are not in the vicinity and make sure the work zone is clearly marked.
- Be aware of all potentially dangerous factors. For example: live power lines, unstable areas, unsafe roof access areas, etc.
- Be sure the roof you’re working on is dry. Working on a slippery wet roof can create a greater chance for accident.
- Wear appropriate footwear. Soft-soled shoes provide the best traction when working on a roof.
- Never attempt to use a damaged ladder.
- Keep your stability by always having three points of contact with the ladder. For example: two hands and one foot or one hand and two feet. In addition, always keep your weight centered on the ladder’s rungs and look straight ahead while climbing.
- Remove any slippery material from your ladder’s rungs, steps, and feet.
- Never use the top rung of a ladder as a step — unless it was specifically designed for that.
- Be sure the surface you are mounting your ladder on is level. If it is not, secure the top and/or bottom to prevent it from moving while you’re climbing.
- Your ladder should extend three feet beyond your roof, and you should not stand on any of the rungs beyond that point.
- If you’re using an extension ladder, ensure that all of the locks are securely engaged.
- Do not exceed the maximum load listed for your ladder.
- You’ll likely need to transport a lot of material onto your roof. Be sure to only carry one bundle at a time.
- Save time and energy by setting up your materials near your roof.
- To avoid injuries, lift with your legs, not with your back and be sure to take breaks whenever you need to.
Need a Professional?
Roofing isn’t for everyone. If you feel you can’t safely get onto your roof to inspect damage or perform simple repairs, seek out a professional.
You can always trust the professionals at Fairfield County Exteriors to expertly repair or replace your roof. We’ve received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and service the greater Fairfield and New Haven area. Contact us today for a free estimate: 203-375-9700!