Hurricane season may have started last month, but we still have four more to go! Since this season is far from over, it’s not too late to make sure you and your property are ready for whatever mother nature throws your way. Follow these hurricane safety tips to help protect your property — when it comes to wind speeds at 200 miles per hour, anyone would need a little back up.
How To Prep Your Home Before The Storm
Before a storm hits, there are several things you can do to get your home ready. These precautionary steps will help protect your home, and also preserve your landscape.
- Trim your trees. Falling branches can cause substantial damage, so be sure to remove any dead or weak limbs hanging over your home.
- Clear your gutters. This will help ensure that the rain runoff is moving properly away from your home.
- Caulk your windows. This will help prevent any leaking to make its way inside your home.
- Schedule a roof inspection. Broken or loose shingles plus high winds is a recipe for disaster. Schedule a roof inspection as soon as possible!
- Assess your insurance coverage. Wind damage may need to be added onto your plan.
Additional Action When The Storm Is Near
When the storm is on it’s way, there are a few extra measures you should take to protect your property.
- Store potential projectiles (planters, pool floats, patio furniture).
- Check rain gutters, one more time!
- Storm-guard your home (put up boards or storm shutters).
You can always trust the professionals at Fairfield County Exteriors to expertly repair or replace your roof. We’ve received an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and service the greater Fairfield and New Haven area. Contact us today for a free estimate: 203-375-9700!