If you’re reading this article, then congratulations are in order — you’re a new homeowner! You’re probably feeling a whole array of emotions right now, excitement being one, and overly stressed being the other. If you’re now in charge of chores you would normally leave up to mom and dad; we have a few tips to help you ease the transition.
- Fix major repairs before you unpack.
- Find a local contractor and plumber you trust and create a seasonal home maintenance plan.
- Check your attic insulation — if it’s not insulated well, this should be your first repair.
- Check all toilets and faucets for leaks.
- Don’t forget about the most important part of your home — the roof! It’s important to keep it in shape to avoid any costly disasters.
- Find where your shut off valve and meter are.
- Change your address on all important paperwork.
- Change the locks and make spare keys (trust us, you’ll need them).
- Install ceiling fans in your most-used rooms.
- The first energy-efficient appliance you should buy is a programmable thermostat. Make sure you watch “how-to’s” so you use it properly.
- Spend more money upfront for energy-efficient appliances — you’ll reap the benefits in the long run!
Contact Fairfield County Exteriors to keep up with the exterior of your home! Contact us at 203-375-9700 today for a free estimate and to discuss your siding, roofing, decking, and window options! With an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, we’re your one-stop home improvement contractor in the greater Fairfield and New Haven area.